3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
TobiDanni
(@tobidanni)
Member Customer
Topic starter  

CONFESSIONS OF A CHILD
I’m scared. Very scared. Scared of things that are coming. I’m scared of having to look for a house. Until now I lived with my parents, or in a hostel. I’m scared of having to look for a job. Until now I never needed one. I’m scared of working, waking up four hours early and still getting to work late because of traffic. I’m scared of earning money, scared I’ll fritter it away as I get it. Until now my parents always gave me money, and helped me hold any I got. I’m scared of having to go into a relationship, and falling in love, and getting married. Until now I have never had to act on any romantic feeling towards anyone. It’s been friendship, the love a child has for his family, and unrequited infatuation. I’m scared of having to defend myself. Until now, it has been my parents and older brother. I’m scared of having huge responsibilities, having a job, keeping a job, maintaining a house and myself, having children. The ones I have had until now are not so crucial that they decide your life. I'm scared of this country, going out to face life here. I have seen how difficult it is. I’m scared of making decisions for myself. Until now, Dad made them for me; my course of study, my hobbies, my daily schedule. I’m scared of growing old. Until now, I’ve been young, and I have always had my future ahead of me. I’m scared of dying. Until now I’ve been alive.
And as the family all congratulate me, saying “Happy Convocation” and clapping and celebrating, I paste a huge smile on my face, and dance and eat and laugh and celebrate with them.
But inside. Inside I scream.
“Help me. I’m scared!”
Scared of growing up.

By Precious Oluwatobi Emmanuel 

#ANSAShortStoryContest 

Dr. Kennedy O. Obohwemu
(@penkup)
Prominent Member Admin

Posted in the wrong forum.

You should have clicked on Week 4 before posting your entry.

Please review our contest rules again.

ReplyQuote
TobiDanni
(@tobidanni)
Member Customer
Topic starter  

Can I still post this next week?

ReplyQuote
Share:
ANSA Nigeria