2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Victor
(@victor)
Member Customer
Topic starter  

JUST LIKE THE CHINESE BAMBOO TREE

I remember a time when a friend of mine who wrote many stories, poems and articles suddenly became unmotivated. He had been writing for some years, but hadn't been getting the results he wanted. He would always say to me then, "Victor, in two years' time, I expect myself to be winning awards in literary contests, in this country." Two years came and passed, and he was yet to win an award in the numerous literary contests he entered for. He lost motivation and laid his pen to rest.

After a few months, I became concerned about my friend. I called him up and discussed at length, telling him to pick up his pen again and keep writing. He was so talented that I had to involve my mom in the matter. She asked him to come to our place on Saturday morning, as the family would be going for a picnic. She wanted him to join us up.

I remember the first words of mom to us, "Just like a Chinese bamboo tree planted; in its first, second, third and fourth years, it stays low and never grows high. Other trees like banana, pawpaw, mango, etc grow in those years and everyone smile at them."

"Then the Chinese bamboo tree makes no sense. It should be abandoned, ma," my friend said.

"No, it isn't useless. In its fifth year, in just six weeks, it grows ninety feet tall, and everyone stares at it with great surprise."

"Wow! How come it didn't grow but suddenly becomes ninety feet tall in its fourth year?"

"Because it was watered every single day. It was continuously done. If it hadn't been watered, it'd have been dead. This tells us that we should show persistence in what we do. Persistence leads to success."

My buddy hummed and nodded his head positively.

"So, please, I will like you not to stop writing. Because one day, you'd become so high that everyone would want to be like you. Never stop watering and be married to persistence. Promise me you will continue to write from now on."

A big smile formed on his face, as he shook his head right and said, "Thank you, ma. I promise. So, if it had been uprooted, no one would have known about it."

"Exactly. So know that P.F.P. leads to success. That is, Patience, Faith and Persistence."

He crossed his heart, yelling, "I am a Chinese bamboo tree!"

©Vikjtaar
Victor Apata

#ANSANonFictionWriterOfTheWeek

Dr. Kennedy O. Obohwemu
(@penkup)
Prominent Member Admin

It's inspiring!

ReplyQuote
Share:
ANSA Nigeria