1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
Vikjtaar
(@vikjtaar)
Member Customer
Topic starter  

*RUKAYAT*

Beads of sweat stood out on Biola's face as she plonked down her bed with scattered hair. She held her head with both hands and sniffed, trying to fight back the tears that blurred her eyes. It was night time at her hostel already.

They were two girls living together, but now she was the only one.

"Ruka," she said with a very low voice as her pupils dilated. Biola stared at the picture that was hanging on the wall. She had just posed with her two days ago at the matriculation ceremony. "You didn't have to go. You shouldn't have left me. Rukayat, you should have listened to me, you should have..." Tears streamed down her face as she rested her head on the picture.

Last night, her friend went to visit her new found love, Adebola. Biola had warned Rukayat, telling her not to go as it was very late. But she found a way to convince Biola that she'd be back in an hour's time because she needed to meet with Adebola.

"Maybe I should have told you that Adebola was a cult member." She sobbed uncontrollably, regretting she had not said. "I was just afraid to say as you might have told him. I was scared that if he found out, I'd get killed. My elder sister who just finished from the University told me about him, I just wanted to seal my lips to avoid trouble when I got to know he was your boyfriend. I was just trying to help you out in my own way, the reason why I asked you not to go to his place yesterday. I called your line when it was past eleven, but it was switched off. All night, I couldn't sleep, hoping you'd be back. Just this morning, your body was found at the bush adjacent our building. Rukayat, as a Muslim, you've been buried already. I miss you, you my best friend. Please, forgive me for not telling you about Adebola." She burst into fresher tears, tightly holding on to the photograph to her chest.

©Vikjtaar
Apata Victor
#ANSAShortStoryContestOfTheWeek

Topic Tags
Share:
ANSA Nigeria