RUNNER

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Akinwole John Akintayo
(@akinwole-john-akintayo)
Member Customer
Topic starter  

"Get in the vehicle, Michael," My dad shouted, snapping me out of my thoughts in the process.

I was scared before we came here but going back home now, I'm sure as hell that if I should get in the car with him, I'll probably be dead before we reach home. 
My dad will most likely attempt to hit me while driving and might end up killing us both.

"I'm not going with you, pops," I sniffed.

"You said what?"

"I'm not getting in that vehicle with you." I rephrased before dashing into the bush adjacent to the waec office.

When I was writing my waec some months ago, my parents made sure I had everything I needed. Most of the times they sent money to me, it was due to the formulated prices for materials that never existed.
As the first born, I had lots of responsibilities and the most important one to my parents is for me to be a pacesetter for my younger siblings so you can guess what their feelings was, when the whole family gathered around in the sitting room to check my waec result in the morning and all they saw on the screen of my dad's tablet was 'held', boldly pasted in front of every subject I sat for.

"What's this?" My dad had said in shock. My mom was too sad to even say anything.

"I don't know, pops," I had replied like a stamerrer that I was not.

"Let's go to their office."

When I heard those words, I knew one thing was certain, I was going to disgrace my dad and myself.
When we got there, I discovered he was friends with a high ranking staff around there judging by the way they were relating with us.

I waited outside while he went in to meet the man.
When he came out, I noticed the suppressed anger on his face but when that man said, "so until next year for him." after accompanying us outside, I knew I was done for.

I'm yet to stop running around in the bush and all that keeps repeating itself in my head is what the external invigilator told me the day he caught me with the expo I paid for, "I don't know why you people won't stop disappointing everybody. You won't have a result this year, I promise."

I'm exhausted and about to call my mother now because I'm getting scared of these numerous thick branches. 
"God, please soften their hearts." I muttered as I dialed her number...
I'm not sure if it's the line that's breaking because I'm hearing something that sounds like breaking of branches.

Is my pops chasing me?

I've started running again, I'm not ready to find out if he is.

©Akinwole John Akintayo

#AnsaShoryStoryWriterOfTheWeekContest.

Dr. Kennedy O. Obohwemu
(@penkup)
Prominent Member Admin

Not bad.

ReplyQuote
Share:
ANSA Nigeria