ACTION, NOT WORDS

3 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
Akinwole John Akintayo
(@akinwole-john-akintayo)
Member Customer
Topic starter  

"Hmm, activist turn ex-convict. Even in prison, you still replicated the same wild attitude that brought you very close to death," the chief warden said out loud at as he handed over my few belongings to me. "I sincerely hope we won't be seeing you here again."

"The feeling is mutual, Sir," I replied.

I changed my clothes, getting rid of the ridiculous prisoner outfit.
Immediately I stepped into the street, I took in successive breaths of the fresh and new air and savoured the healthy scent therein.

"Prison condition is nothing to write home about," I muttered, squeezing my face disgustingly in the process.

Today makes it exactly eight months since I was remanded in the federal Penentiary without a reasonable crime to my name.

My offence was attributed to my active involvements in a series of actions that was aimed at probing the leadership of this country on how they shut out the involvement of the masses, most especially the youths in the affairs of the nation. Democracy is afterall a government for the people and by the people.

I was at the forefront of one of those protests when I was bundled into a moving vehicle before being driven to the hole where I spent the longest eight months of my life.
Most people will probably think of me as dead because I was denied a lawyer and none of my family or friends knew where I was kept.

I snapped out of my thoughts and checked my pockets for money. Luckily I found enough. I boarded a bike and directed him to my place. After spending some minutes on the road, we located my house.

My words of greeting to my co-tenants went unanswered, they probably couldn't identify me because of my bushy and intimidating facial hairs.

I flicked the bulb switch, no electricity supply as usual. I said a brief word of prayer, pressed the power button on my laptop and luckily for me, it still had enough power. I patiently waited for it to boot as I thought of what to broadcast to my teeming followers.

"I'm alive and I won't die until this country is liberated. So if you still believe in the movement, let's hookup. Nigeria shall be great." I reread what I typed and clicked on the send option before leaving for the bathroom.

After leveling my bushy hair to a reasonable extent, I checked my laptop and saw more than a thousand replies to my recent post. Someone even commented thus, "Ade Musa for President."

I sat down wondering who will be my first visitor. The police or my fellow youths?

©Akinwole John Akintayo
#AnsaShortStoryWriterOfTheWeekContest

Dr. Kennedy O. Obohwemu
(@penkup)
Prominent Member Admin

Nice storyline. I remember this story well. Glad you could finally submit it for the contest. You could have gone for a better title though.

This post was modified 5 years ago by Dr. Kennedy O. Obohwemu

ReplyQuote
Akinwole John Akintayo
(@akinwole-john-akintayo)
Member Customer
Topic starter  

Thank you sir.

The idea behind the write-up made it hard to find a suitable title. 

ReplyQuote
Share:
ANSA Nigeria