2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Vikjtaar
(@vikjtaar)
Member Customer
Topic starter  

THE LESSON

"Sola, if you do what you shouldn't do, you will see what you should not see. Desist from stealing, my boy," Sola's father warned his son, after he caught him picking a meat from the boiling soup in the kitchen.

"Does it mean, Sola's dad?" his wife replied him. "I believe one can take whatever he wishes to have in life. Can't he?"

"No, mama Sola. We should always teach our children what is right. He could just have asked you to give him a piece of meat, instead of taking it himself. Oh, a nine year old!"

"Isn't he our son? What we have is his and vice versa."

"Oh, look here. Just last week, he was caught with a stolen book in his class. You weren't home when his teacher told me. Have I lied?" He pointed at Sola.

Sola pouted his lips and looked away. "Yes. I didn't steal it anyway. I took it and..."

"Will you shut up?!" he warned.

"Please, hold it there, Sola's dad. What did he do wrong? I see nothing wrong at all. The owner of the book must have been careless, and Sola picked it. What's bad in that?"

Feeling irritated by her words, he didn't say a word for some seconds. "Anyway, I have spoken mine. If you like, keep stealing. But remember my saying. 'If you do what you shouldn't do, you will see what you shouldn't see.'" he said and walked out of them.

Two days later, Sola was caught stealing his class teacher's orange. Mad at him, she slapped him and then flogged him with two different canes. He was then reported to his headmaster.

Hearing what he had done, the headmaster asked him to walk on his knees in the school field, where the sun had made the sand as hot as fire. Every student of his class looked through their windows. The class teacher led a song, and others responded to the call.

Teacher: Sola the thief
All: Thief
Teacher: He stole an orange
All: Orange
Teacher: Look at his head
All: His head
Teacher: His head like pawpaw
All: Pawpaw
Teacher: Will you all steal?
All: No
Teacher: Don't ever steal
All: Yes
Teacher: Look at Sola
All: Sola
Teacher: His head like pawpaw
All: Pawpaw

When Sola heard the song, he cried bitterly and pleaded he would never steal again.

When Sola got home, he prostrated and begged his dad to forgive him, that he stole and was punished.

"I won't do that again, dad. Indeed, your saying was true. Mom, I have learnt a lesson," he said, sobbing uncontrollably.

His mom knelt down before his dad, and asked for forgiveness.

Victor Apata
©Vikjtaar

#ANSAChildren'sLiteratureOfTheWeekContest

Dr. Kennedy O. Obohwemu
(@penkup)
Prominent Member Admin

Not bad for the genre in question.

In written English, try avoid colloquial expressions like this, "Does it mean...?" You'll see that in the second paragraph. Change it to, "Does it matter?"

This post was modified 5 years ago by Dr. Kennedy O. Obohwemu

ReplyQuote
Share:
ANSA Nigeria