SCARS

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Mumeen Ameen
(@mumeen-ameen)
Member Customer
Topic starter  

The early demise of mum shocked us all. The doctor told us she had responded to the treatment given and she was ready to be discharged. She died the following day in father's warmth embrace.

Ten years after mother's death, my sister and I pressured father into taking another wife; we believed he needed a companion. But he said he already had the companion he needed; us. Father was everything a child would ever ask for. He was caring, he neither smoked nor drank, he never kept bad friends and he showed no interest in women. But he chasing me out of his home wasn't the only reason I debunked every good thing I had thought of him.

16 January, 1992. My sister celebrated her 23rd birthday. She was tall, beautiful and her deep dimples became visible whenever she smiled. Those three features of hers were enough to make men who practiced celibacy reconsider.

Although my sister was still schooling, many men came to meet father and requested for his blessings. But they never received any.

I could count the number of my sister's suitors father rejected. I was not happy about it and I called father for a short meeting. I advised him not to make choices for my sister but father's gruesome remark made our meeting shorter than expected.

24 January, 1992. My sister told me she was pregnant for a man who intended to marry her. I was disappointed but also thought it was a good thing. I thought father won't have any choice than to bless their union since he loathed abortion. I advised her not to tell father about it till her belly protruded. She agreed.

I was with a friend the next day when I received a call from my sister. She told me father was aware of her pregnancy and was okay with it. I cursed underneath my breath and hung up.

I got home later that day to meet father seated outside the house. He sat me down and he began to talk. He told me he had finally allowed my sister get married to a man of her choice. I was relieved and happy, but my happiness was short-lived when he told me he was the man. His words impaled my heart and I stood up to protest. But it was of no use for father already had his mind made up. He told me to leave his house if I wasn't okay with his decision.

26 January, 1992. I grabbed my bags and left father's house knowing deep down my sister was my stepmother and she was pregnant with my half-brother.

© Aminu Abdulmumeen
#ANSAShortStoryoftheWeekContest

This topic was modified 5 years ago by Mumeen Ameen

Dr. Kennedy O. Obohwemu
(@penkup)
Prominent Member Admin

P1... 'Warm embrace', not 'warmth embrace'.

ReplyQuote
Mumeen Ameen
(@mumeen-ameen)
Member Customer
Topic starter  

Noted sir.

ReplyQuote
Share:
ANSA Nigeria