CONVICTIONS

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
Erioluwadamiloju Shodayo
(@brownie_vocal)
Member Customer
Topic starter  

Brenda pressed the button that opened the bonnet, unlocked the doors and got out into the evening while Beatrice remained inside the car. She looked like she was going to claw her eyes out soon.

Brenda walked to the front of the car and lifted the hood. She considered the physical appearance of the engine and began to kick out loud.

“The mech said he was checking this thing regularly. What happened?!” Brenda was starting to get loud but not loud enough to draw unwanted attention.

Beatrice saw and heard Brenda quetch. She got out of the car.

“Well, we’re screwed. We need to walk.” Beatrice’s eyes did more convincing than her words. Her words just ticked Brenda off.

“Dear God. Why is this so urgent?“ Brenda asked but began to walk anyway. It was all she could do to keep up with Bea. She didn’t understand why they needed to do this but Beatrice was compelling.

“All I know is we have to save Anthony. Something’s wrong.” Bea rasped.

“Your father!“ Brenda corrected.

“Oh please mum.“ Beatrice put emphasis on the last word. The temperature had dropped significantly not only because of the snow that started, but also since it was nighttime. They hated that they had to walk. Alone on the dark streets of the city, in the cold, without proper attire. They’d probably freeze before they achieved their aim. So many things could go wrong and all Brenda cared about was what her husband was called by their daughter.

“I’m only worried that Tony isn’t home and he hasn’t rung home since his trip. That’s why I’m out here with you. Not because of your wild imaginations.” Brenda sighed and rubbed her palms together.

“Wild imaginations? Really? After all this while you still don’t believe me.” Beatrice said holding back a sob. “I miss the Brenda I grew up with. You’ve changed so much. You used to listen to everything I said. That is, aside the day I told you I’d come back. And you still don’t believe.” Beatrice’s voice reduced to an almost whisper. A tear rolled down her cheek.

Beatrice’s words stung Brenda yet instilled belief.

“If anything happens to him, I’d die.“ Brenda stopped in her tracks and started to sob.

Beatrice swore under her breath. They were in a dire situation but she had a feeling she would be chastised by Brenda for swearing so she did it quietly. They needed to move. She wrapped her arm around the crying Brenda and tried to comfort her.

“Why do you think I’m here? I told you I’d come back. Here I am. We’ll all be fine. I’d probably die too. Unlike you, I’m not figuratively speaking when I say that.” She said soothingly. Brenda detected mockery in her daughter’s tone but all the love was audible nonetheless.

They started walking again. This time they picked up the pace and didn’t stop till they got to a house that spelt affluence yet despair.

©️Erioluwadamiloju Shodayo(Brownie_Vocal) 

An excerpt from Resurgence

#ANSAFlashFictionContest

Brownie_Vocal

Share:
ANSA Nigeria