The Journey so Far  

RSS

Ndibe David Chukwunwike
(@king-dayveed)
Reputable Member Customer
05/06/2020 8:35 pm  

Yes!!!

That was the shout we gave when we were given admission into the university to study the courses we applied for - though some were given other courses. We were happy to finally leave home and become "independent". Little did we know we were going to face the journey of the unknown. 

We came in with excitement and vigor to take the campus by storm but what waited in front of us was still dim. It was a story of light at the end of the tunnel, but ours was that we were still at the entrance and the end of the tunnel was still far off. 

The University brought so many lessons to us and we found ways to navigate it. From the crowded classes in year one to being reluctant to attend lectures in our finals. Our lives were to take a new shape but we weren't aware. The journey began and at first it was tasking - being in a new environment and trying to manage being "independent" yet still dependent to an extent, living the bachelor/spinster life but without being in control of your income (not the case for all of us though). Your first exams came and you tasted what university exams looked like. For many, University was about the class, the lecture hall and passing out, while some others wanted more. 

The University system made it possible for so many to harness their hidden potentials. Some found their calling in the political sphere, some in the entertainment sphere, some in the public speaking and debate sphere, but what is certain is that potentials were harnessed. We made friends who turned siblings - people who years back we didn't know existed but now hold valuable places in our lives, relationships that our children would look at and call "connection" was groomed here. 

Many found love, a foundation for future marriages (a few though), for some others they really came for a "bachelor's degree".  For the religious ones, meeting young people who were zealous in God's vineyard spurred them to do more, while some more were indifferent, living a triangular lifestyle. 

One thing is sure, everyone would pass out of the university, but the legacies we built and the relationships we kept, would be what we would be remembered for. Life is never straightforward - there are ups and downs. If there's one thing I've learnt, it is the fact that ten years from now nobody would remember whether you came out with a first class or not, (if you doubt me, try remembering your high school days, the memories that would come to you are the people that touched your life) but they would remember how you touched their lives. If you are in your first year it's an opportunity to touch lives till you graduate. For the final year students, look back and ask yourself, 

'What will I be remembered for?'

'How many lives did I touch?'

There are people this writer would never forget - those who put a smile on my face, those who broke my heart, those who helped me in times of trouble and those that built me. 

No matter your story, the journey to the top just began. You came out with "thanks for coming" (slang for a third class or a pass degree) doesn't mean you wouldn't make it. Your imagination determines your reality.

Ndibe David

Dr. Kennedy O. Obohwemu
(@penkup)
Chief Admin Admin
07/06/2020 10:47 am  

Work exceeded word count limit. See attached. Use wordcounter.net to manage word counts. 

ReplyQuote
Ndibe David Chukwunwike
(@king-dayveed)
Reputable Member Customer
07/06/2020 4:41 pm  

@penkup okay sir 🤦🏼‍♂️

ReplyQuote
Share: